Purdue ends regular season by welcoming Boilermakers invite
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue men’s golf team completes final preparations for playoffs by hosting 18and Annual Boilermaker Invitational Saturday and Sunday at Ackerman-Allen Golf Course.
The action begins Saturday at 9 a.m. ET, as 13 more teams descend on the Birck Boilermaker Golf Resort. This is the first time the event will take place at Ackerman-Allen, as renovations are currently underway on the Kampen course. The teams will play 36 holes on Saturday, followed by 18 holes on Sunday.
Purdue, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin will be among the favorites as a total of six Big Ten teams will be on the field. This will be Purdue’s last event before the Big Ten Championships from April 29 to May 1, at the Pete Dye Course at the French Lick Resort.
THE COURSE (Golfstat Rankings)
120 State of Illinois
163 Ball State
165 Eastern Michigan
188 Loyola Chicago
LAST TIME OUT
The Boilermakers achieved a great result placing fifth in the prestigious Calusa Cup at Calusa Pines Golf Club in Naples, Florida. The tournament featured seven of the top 23 teams in the nation, with Purdue beating No. 8 Georgia and No. 22 Clemson head-to-head. Cole Bradley led the way for Purdue with a 1-over par 217, good for ninth place. André Farraye posted the lowest 18-hole score of the week for the Boilermakers in the final round with a 69, catapulting to a 19and-place the finish at 6-over by 222.
- Herman Sekne / Second year / Oslo, Norway
- Sekne continues to excel, leading the team with an average of 70.24, which is currently the first for a single season in school history.
- Has five top-20 and top-10 finishes in four of seven events.
- Leads the team with 86 birdies and 15 of his 21 rounds have been par or under par.
- Saw a streak of 12 straight par or better rounds in the Calusa Cup, the second longest streak in school history.
- In his last five tournaments, Sekne is a cumulative 31 under par.
- Has eight rounds in the 60s, already the fourth most in school history in a single season.
- Ranked #45 nationally by Golfstat and #51 by Golfweek.
- Joe Weiller / Senior / Bloomington, Indiana
- Second on the team in stroke average (70.90) and rounds of par or better (14). His stroke average currently ranks third in school history.
- Had a count score in 20 of 21 innings this season.
- Finished in the top 20 in six of seven events this season, including five in the top 12.
- Has the fourth lowest running average in school history (73.00).
- André Farraye / Junior / St. Augustine, Florida
- Has an average of 73.33 shots and a cumulative count of 24 over.
- Has seven top-20 performances in 23 career events.
- Posted a 69th final round to break into the top-20 at the Calusa Cup elite.
- Posted a 2-0-1 with a dominating pair of wins at the Big Ten Match Play Championships.
- Cole Bradley / Senior / West Lafayette, Indiana
- Has a 71.95 stroke average with three top-10 finishes.
- Completed T-9and at the prestigious Calusa Cup.
- Leads the team with 240 pars.
- Became the eighth player in school history to amass more than 10,000 career hits.
- Has the fifth-best career hitting average in school history (73.28).
- Luc Pall / Sophomore / Carmel, Indiana
- Has an average of 73.78 strokes in six events, including three individual.
- T-22 completedn/a at the Marquette Intercollegiate.
- Good performance at the Calusa Cup, finishing 29and.
- Has six rounds (out of 18) of par or better.
Playing the course for the first time in Boilermaker Invitational history, Ackerman-Allen Golf Course is ranked 11and– Indiana’s Best Course by Golf Digest. Renovated in 2015 and 2016, the course, designed by Pete Dye, is an 18-hole, park-style, par 72 championship golf course with large bentgrass greens, fairways and tees. The layout presents a challenge for golfers of all skill levels with rolling hills, tree lined fairways, white sand bunkers and minimal water hazards. Ackerman-Allen offers five sets of tees with the championship tees playing 7,500 yards.
BOILERMAKER INVITATION STORY
18and the event’s annual game will be played on the Ackerman-Allen Golf Course for the first time. The Boilermakers have only won the title twice (2004, 2011) and have finished runners-up six times, including three in the past five years. The Boilermakers were third a year ago at 5-under 859, seven strokes behind champion Kent State.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy, 44 degrees, NW wind 10-15 MPH
Sunday: Sunny, 60 degrees, SW wind 5-12 MPH
Will be available on Golfstat.com.