Oak Ridge Children’s Museum December Events
Events for the Oak Ridge Children’s Museum for the month of December are:
Surf! CMOR Annual Gala
The annual Children’s Museum gala took place at the museum on December 3. The gala is the museum’s premier fundraising event of the year. The museum thanks its very generous patrons:
- Big Wave ($ 7,500): Materials and Chemistry Laboratory Inc .;
- Longboard ($ 5,000): Merrick and Company;
- Woodie Wagon ($ 2,500): Jim and Ronnie Bogard; Larry and Marge Burkholder; Chris and Pete Clark;
- Sandcastle ($ 1,500): ORAU; UCOR;
- Beachcomber ($ 1,000): Fred and Sandra Barry; Tom Beehan and Kay Brookshire; Bonnie Carroll and Roy Cooper; Jim Charles; Harold and Sherry Ketterer; Retirement planning services; TN Bank; and
- Surf Shack ($ 500): Barr Technical Services, LLC; Kelly and Stacey Callison; Federal Credit Union Enrichment; Sandra and Barry Guryan; Megan and Greg Houchin; Susan McCarthy; Methodist Medical Center; Group of mortgage investors; Navarro Research and Engineering; ORUD; Sexton Automobile; Beth, Bill and Bea Shea; Willow Ridge Garden and Landscaping Center.
The Children’s Museum will be closed for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and New Year’s Day. For any questions about the Museum or its schedule, please visit https://childrensmuseumofoakridge.org or call (865) 482-1074.
Third Sunday Open Day
December 19, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. – The third Sunday of each month, enjoy an open house at the Knoxville area model railroaders clubhouse and meet model railroad enthusiasts. Additionally, members of the Oak Ridge Amateur Radio Club will be on hand in the Discovery Lab with radio equipment for you to explore. It is free with a paid entry to the museum.
Regular programs at CMOR
Each week, the museum offers free hospitality programs and registration is not required. It is a great opportunity for children to get out of the house, play with others, or make music.
- Playtime for toddlers – Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to noon in the preschool room
- Musical Matinees – Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Salon de Musique
- Craft-to-Go – Sundays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., in the lobby. The first 20 children to visit receive a free craft kit to take home. The job changes every week.
Holiday shopping at CMOR
Don’t forget the Children’s Museum when shopping for friends and family this holiday season. The Museum’s gift shop offers items for children and adults, including books, toys and t-shirts. Every in-store purchase supports the Children’s Museum and CMOR members receive a 10% discount. Memberships to the Children’s Museum make great gifts too!
End of year donation
There are special tax incentives under the CARES Act that have been extended for 2021. Taxpayers who benefit from the standard deduction can claim an above-line deduction up to $ 300 for charitable donations (and $ 600 for a married couple). For more information see: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/expanded-tax-benefits-help-individuals-and-businesses-give-to-charity-during-2021-deductions-up-to-600-available-for-cash- donations-by-non-itemizers or ask your tax or legal advisor.
Donations to CMOR can be made at https://bit.ly/givetocmor or by check payable to: Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge, 461 W. Outer Drive, Oak Ridge TN 37830.
The Children’s Museum continues to implement security measures for COVID-19. Until further notice, museum visitors must practice social distancing and visitors aged 5 and over must wear a mask. Masks are optional for children 3-4 years old. Masks are not mandatory for children 2 years old and under.
About the museum
The Oak Ridge Children’s Museum is located at 461 W. Outer Drive, Oak Ridge TN 37830. The phone number is (865) 482-1074 and the museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm and Sunday, from 1 to 4 p.m.
The cost of admission is $ 8 for adults, $ 7 for seniors, $ 6 for children aged 3 to 17, and free for children under 2 and CMOR members.